Thursday 1 October 2015

Round at Gino's Gaff - Bake With Me with Gino D'Acampo

It's fair to say, that some days are considerably better than others.

Take Tuesday.  An invitation to Gino D'Acampo's home to cook pizza and have lunch with my favourite chef off the telly-box.  And when he poured me a huge glass of prosecco and told me to make myself at home, frankly I don't think I could have been happier.


We were there to try out his new range of fresh pizza dough bases, the Bake With Me range which is launching exclusively at Asda next week.

I'm happy to report that unlike some celebrities who turn out to be massively disappointing in the flesh, the Italian Stallion is exactly like he is on the TV (I was hooked watching him on I'm a Celebrity and did a little whoop when he as crowned king of the jungle).  He's warm, welcoming, charming, funny, incredibly cheeky and smells utterly divine.  He's not dumb though.  That's definitely a bit of an act. Far from it, he's a man full of integrity and is very astute.


As a celebrity chef he admitted to being inundated with offers every week to endorse product ranges and develop pasta sauces and other foods.  But as someone who's earned his living through trying to encourage people to cook and experiment with food, he wasn't prepared to just stick his (albeit lovely) face on a jar.

An awful lot of consideration and thought has gone into developing the Bake With Me range with Highgrove Foods.  He's remained true to his roots, coming up with an authentic Italian product, which encourages family participation in the cooking process as well as the mealtime as a whole.  He loves the idea of busy parents being able to engage with their kids to come up with pizza creations, but without the hassle and mess of mixing the dough.

The bases come ready rolled on a greaseproof sheet, meaning you simply have to unwrap them, place the paper sheet on the baking tray, top with whatever your heart desires, and pop in the oven for around 15 minutes.  No mess, during prep and no washing up after.





You can purchase the Bake With Me products either as a kit with a jar of delicious tomato and herb sauce, or just as the dough base. The 400g family base unrolls to a large rectangle which will fit easily onto your oven tray. This would be perfect for feeding the three of us - we can divide it up and have different toppings to suit and served up with a hearty bowl of salad it makes the perfect weekday meal. There's also a thin and crispy base if you prefer your pizza that way.

Gino chose to top his simply with tomato sauce, mozzarella and basil on the thin and crispy, and tomato, mozzarella and parma ham on the family pizza. Both tasted sublime.  Light and crispy, not too greasy or floury as mine sometimes turn out when I make from scratch.



The products have a fridge life of around 2 weeks, so they're ideal to pick up on the weekly shop and keep in the fridge for when you want a quick and tasty meal - you've always got something in the fridge to add to a pizza right?

Gino's top tips for the perfect pizza are:


  • Leave about a finger's width border for the crust
  • Brush the border lightly with olive oil to prevent burning
  • Add delicate ingredients such as fresh herbs and parma ham only in the last couple of minutes of cooking
  • Less is more on a pizza - choose only one or two good quality toppings for the perfect pizza


The dough is versatile too, so you can use it to make dough balls, garlic bread, or his kid's favourite - this totally delicious Nutella and banana creation.  Simply spread Nutella thickly onto the dough, then top with sliced banana.  Roll and cut into slices before baking in the oven.  It was sweet, gooey, tasted utterly divine and would make a fabulous weekend breakfast.



The Bake With Me range launches in Asda on 4th October and is priced at just £2 for the kit with sauce or £1.50 for the base - a total bargain for a little taste of Gino!

Special thanks to Tots100 for arranging the event, to Highgrove foods and to Gino for welcoming me into his home.


25 comments:

  1. oooh lucky you! This sounds like an amazing day! Gino does seem like a really genuine guy so good to hear he didn't disappoint. We love Italian food so we will definitely be buying this range - great prices too! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was such fun to spend time with him. His passion for the food is infectious. x

      Delete
  2. What an amazing day! I'd have loved to have gone, but knew I just couldn't find a way to make it work. The pizza looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You lucky thing ;-)

    Those pizzas looks amazing, especially the thin and crispy one although I suspect that the kids will be more in favour of the Nutella version x x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I suspect the Nutella one will be a big hit with a lot of kids. Both were utterly delicious though.

      Delete
  4. Lucky you, imaging going to his own home. I love anything that encourages families to cook and eat together. A fab idea. We have homemade pizza once a week and yes I make the dough from scratch, but I work from home, so putting it all in the bread maker for 45 mins is no hassle, but if I was working I wouldn't hesitate to pick this up

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right?! It was a great experience, lovely to meet him in such an informal setting.

      He's such a family man, and it's great he's thought about how real families function and made it easier to cook and eat together.

      Delete
  5. I saw much excitement on Facebook about this, it sounds like an amazing day and the food looks delicious. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks amazing. Glad you had a wonderful time xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan, it was a great day - good food and good company, what more could a girl want?!

      Delete
  7. I know what's going to be on your shopping list next week. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're a long way from our nearest Asda, but it'll be worth the trip!

      Delete
  8. I loved seeing the pics from this day across my SM feeds and you were obviulsy delghted to be there with Gino. That nutella and banana creation looks so yummy too. Mich x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know what you mean Mich. I only went for the pizza *cough*

      Delete
  9. Oh wow what a brilliant event - lucky you! And those pizzas look delicious - it's making me want one right now!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooh lovely!! I love Gino so I'm rather jealous! Those pizza's look yummy and such a great idea to encourage busy families to be able to cook together! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. not only am i swooning! i am totally loving the idea of these bases!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a fab experience :) I would have been nosying around his house. We love making homemade pizzas so having a base would make it easier. Oooh nutella and banana! Gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, i'm so jealous! I love Gino! Looks like you all had a great time

    ReplyDelete
  14. Still no idea how he didn't get any of the chocolate or tomato sauce on his white top... he's a real pro ;) lovely to see you there and am a teeny bit envious of your photos - wish I'd taken my 'proper' camera! Might have to print off that first one with the Prosecco for my bedroom wall..... x

    ReplyDelete
  15. I so wish I could have gone to this - I love Gino. You are a very lucky lady!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh. My. God. You were in his actual home! I think he's so charming and charismatic. I like the look of these pizza bases and the idea of using them to make sweet treats is ingenious.

    ReplyDelete
  17. God I hate making my own pizza bases but love homemade pizza. I am definitely going to grab some of this to try out! Also I am totally jealous you got to meet Gino!

    ReplyDelete