Thursday 9 February 2012

Easy & Stylish Chocolate Fondue



Chances are you chucked your fondue set out years ago.

But fear not, there's a super easy way to make it in your slow cooker.  You can make it on the stove over a pan of water, but I prefer the hands-off approach of using the crock pot.  It means that it's being made while you're enjoying your main course - that's the kind of multi-tasking I like.

Ingredients:  Serves 4ish depending on how greedy you are. Adjust quantities by half if it's for a romantic meal for 2!

2 large bars of dark chocolate (70%) - 200g
1/2 tin of condensed milk - approx 200g
1/4 - 1/2 pint of milk

Break the chocolate into small pieces and put them, along with the condensed milk into the slow cooker.  Heat on high for about 40 minutes. Try to resist the urge to poke or stir before it's fully melted otherwise you risk it turning grainy and lumpy.

A couple of minutes before serving, add the milk and stir vigorously until you get a smooth, glossy liquid.  Start by pouring in about a quarter of a pint, and judge whether you need more after you've stirred it all in.

Serve in pretty vintage tea cups with a selection of goodies to dip - try strawberries; sliced banana; marshmallows, biscuits etc.  Pretty cake forks are the perfect implements to use, or use skewers.



Just because we don't get the chance to do 'couples' stuff all that often, here's one each for my family!




12 comments:

  1. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was a bit leftover too (odd I know!). I popped it in a pot in the fridge and added it to hot milk the next day. Amazing hot chocolate!

      Delete
  2. yeeeeuuuuucccccchhhhh each to our own...lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You don't like chocolate? "feels for a pulse" ;0)

      Delete
  3. Ooooh I think I lost part of our fondue set so slow cooker sounds right up my street!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was SO easy to make, it basically just does it itself :0)

      Delete
  4. I loved having a fondue as a child it was always a cheese one though. This looks great. Thanks for sharing. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you know, I don't think I've ever had a proper cheese fondue. Must rectify that!

      Delete
  5. Phwoar - finally something to use my slow cooker for! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I plan to use this idea at a kid's party soon! No icky double dipping or bits floating in the big fondue pot.

    ReplyDelete